Saturday, January 30, 2010

Virtual Manipulatives :Algebra Balance Scales

I chose to play around with Algebra Balance Scales. It is a very helpful tool when dealing with simple linear equations. I thought it would be a great way to reinforce the idea of solving linear equations. The algebra scales can help with the idea of balancing out equations instead of just solving the variable in the equation. It would be easier to visualize the problem instead of just having the student look at numbers and variables on a piece of paper. I am not considering stretching out the exercise for more than a day, but it would put the idea in a student's head. The question I would like my students to ask themselves would be , "What do I need to do to balance the equation?", instead of , " What do I need to do first?". This could set a strong base to deal with longer and more difficult linear equations.

No comments:

Post a Comment